Get Motivated

Get Motivated
tips and tricks to get your butt moving even when you don't want to

One of the hardest parts about converting and sticking to a healthy lifestyle is finding and maintaining motivation. I've experienced the ups and downs of it all. It seems that the time I am most motivated is when I'm laying in bed at 10:30pm and deep in thought. Of course, at that point it's too late to change the day I just had, but I can vow to have a good tomorrow. 

Motivation is one of those things that other people can't provide you with. I'm sure though, that if we all had our own personal Jillian Michaels to bitch us out, we would be killing it at the gym every single day.  Motivation has to come from within. Nobody can make you get up and go to the gym, and honestly I sometimes have to give myself a pep-talk just to get there. I've learned that the biggest and most persuasive form of motivation comes from within - a desire to change. 

I know this intro has discredited this entire post, but sometimes when you can't muster up the courage on your own, here are some tips and tricks to get you moving. 

1. Make solid plans with a buddy to workout 
Working out is an activity that can be so much more enjoyable when you're with a friend. For me, when I go to the gym I tend to zone out or I'm preoccupied with things around me. Even if you don't plan on conversing during your date with the treadmill, having a friend with you holds you accountable. Keep each other motivated to have a great workout. One thing about having a gym buddy is that if you make plans in advance, you can't skip out on them. It is harder for you to flake on the gym when someone else is depending on you.

2. Write a list of goals 
This is clearly one of my biggest motivations. Being goal-oriented keeps me focused on the goal and the path to getting there. Although this may not be the best thing for my body image, I have a folder of fit people on my computer titled "Body Goals". Looking at the success of other people motivates me to work towards my best self. Not only do I make visual goals, I try to keep other measurable goals, like how many steps I take in a day, how long I can run for, etc. To keep your goals in the forefront of your mind, set reminders or alarms on your phone that remind you of the goals you're working toward.

3. Look at healthy lifestyle blogs
This is a favorite as well, because looking at other healthy lifestyle blogs inspires me. I love to look at the things that people have tried in terms of workouts and nutrition. I love finding new recipes or food items to try out because I enjoy finding healthy alternatives for food. Seeing what other people are doing motivates me to try new things for myself.

4. Find new workouts to try 
This one seems self explanatory, because doing the same old-same old routine at the gym can be boring. When you find yourself getting bored with your gym routine, it is harder to find the motivation to go. I find that if I have a few different gym routines to alternate, it makes it more interesting and you also work different muscle groups which is beneficial. I'm a huge advocate for group fitness classes. Yoga, Warrior Sculpt, Zumba, you name it, I'm down to try it. I am still in the market to find a good cycling class to try. Classes and different workouts add excitement to your routine. If you still can't get yourself to the gym, try some of those at-home workouts from a magazine or take a walk or run outside. 

5. Challenge yourself 
This kind of goes along with the goals thing. I love to challenge myself to see how far I can push myself. Not in a dangerous way, but in a way that gets me to work harder every time I work out. I also like to challenge myself to give up certain foods, as I mentioned in my earlier posts. These challenges are fun because at the end of it, you are either pleasantly surprised that you conquered it or you are motivated to conquer it if you couldn't. 

6. Sign up for things in advance 
Like I said, group fitness classes are some of my favorite things. A lot of people are nervous to try them because they don't want to look dumb, but honestly its not worth the worry. Sign up for a class and do it in advance if that is available. Signing up in advance is a way to hold yourself accountable - especially if you had to pay for it. 

7. Know it's alright to take a break
At the end of the day, if you still can't find the motivation to continue, know that it is okay to take a break. Make sure that your mind and body are fully in it. Taking a personal mental-health day is necessary every once in a while. One day doesn't make or break a habit, so don't sweat it too much if you find yourself in need of a free day. Just make sure you don't find yourself in a rut, and make a promise to get back out there tomorrow. 

Finding motivation is one of the hardest things to do, and it is a daily struggle even for me. One thing I always think about is that I will never regret working out, but I will almost always regret not working out. That being said, do what works for you and make sure both your mind and body is on board. 

Wishing you well. 

x A

0 comments:

Post a Comment